The Del Rosarios

Mikel's Blog:

Sunday, February 26, 2006

On the Scene of a Rally


Fort Bonifacio Standoff: Image from inq7.net

"Don't got to any rallies. You could be arrested." These were some of the first words spoken to me by a leader of the Philippine Council of Evangelical Churches upon our arrival in July. This was when it was just startingto come out that the president may have been involved in election fraud.

Well, me, I'm not thinking of getting arrested. I'm thinking of keeping my family out of harms way as best I can (Yes, I know we moved to this country voluntarily, but that's another issue!). Anway, could you really see me and Christine and Jojo in an angry crowd holding up signs to overthrow the government?

But seriously, today, we drove right by a gathering demonsration on our way back from church...and saw the escalation on TV when we got home! We have to drive by a number of miliatry camps to get home and all I saw were a bunch of onlookers and huge military vehicles in the street. Oh well. Luckily, we got through that area before the real action began.

Long story short, a huge group of protestors and even some politicians were arngy that a certain marine commanant was relieved from duty on suscpicion of being involved in a plot to oust the Philippine president on Thursday night. This really wasn't that big of a deal, but I'm just letting you guys know that this stuff is going down right in our very midst. It hits close to home when you see the news "live on the scene" before you see it on TV!

I hope people still read our blog. I know I haven't updated it as often as I should and maybe it's old hat to a number of our supporters already. But please keep praying for our safety. Thanks.

Here's some info on what we passed by from a local english-language newspaper: Marines holed up inside camp agree to stand down

2 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Blogger Lee Jones said...

Oh, still reading it. I only check once or twice a week, or when I hear of something on the news. You have not been forgotten!

Do keep your family safe, brother.

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger mikeldelrosario said...

Thanks for remembering us in prayer! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home